Over the years, Mother Nature affects all of us. We get age spots, lines, wrinkles and even saggy skin. The sun has an effect on our skin as well. Our skin gets drier and our collagen and elastin begin breaking down.
Are you wondering what you can do to combat your aging skin and get your healthy glow back? There are so many options for products and treatments it becomes overwhelming for the average person to tease through it. How one should proceed often depends on skin type, cost, effectiveness, safety, downtime and other factors. Most treatments require repeat procedures or maintenance in order to keep the results. Here is a list of common cosmetic skin problems and a brief evaluation of available treatments, as determined by the Harvard University’s Skin Care and Repair Special Health Report:
- Lightening or bleaching creams: Inexpensive; require no recovery time; mildly effective unless combined with other ingredients.
- Retinoid creams. Moderately effective but moderately expensive. Lightens but will not fully remove brown spots. Major side effect is skin irritation. May be combined with bleaching creams.
- Chemical peel: Effective but moderately expensive. Recovery time depends on strength of peel solution. The deeper the peel, the most benefit but also the most recovery time.
Fine lines and wrinkles
- Products containing alpha hydroxy acids or beta hydroxy acids. These are moderately effective, inexpensive products are available without prescription.
- Retinoid creams. Moderately effective for fine lines as well as brown spots. Lower strength products are available without prescription. More expensive, stronger products are available with prescription.
- Growth factors and peptides. Moderately effective ingredients available in more expensive products, without the side effect of irritation.
- Chemical peel. Effective. See above.
- Curcumin. This is very useful and when it is combined with other ingredients it is is very effective in reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
At Camelback Healthcare, we highly recommend clients come in for a visit with our experienced aesthetician. Contact us to schedule an appointment to determine which path is right for you and your budget.
By: Dr. Brandon Kim CEO | Camelback Health Care